The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Thieves Prey on Athletes' Unattended Bags on Pier 25, Police Say

 Two men had their iPhones and wallets stolen on the same day on Pier 25 in TriBeCa, police said.
Two men had their iPhones and wallets stolen on the same day on Pier 25 in TriBeCa, police said.
View Full Caption
Hudson River Park

TRIBECA — Two people had their wallets swiped hours apart as they played sports at Hudson River Park’s Pier 25 last week, police said.

A 17-year-old told police his iPhone and his wallet, which contained about $30, were taken from his bag as he played basketball at an outdoor court on the pier at North Moore Street on Aug. 20. The teen had left his bag on the side of the court about noon, and when he finished playing about 6 p.m. he returned to grab the bag and found his wallet and phone were missing.

Later that evening, a 24-year-old man told police his wallet, containing $44, had been stolen while he played volleyball at Pier 25's sand courts. He had left the wallet in his bag next to the court about 6:30 p.m., and when he returned at 7:30 p.m., the wallet was gone.

Police were still investigating the incidents as of Tuesday. It was not immediately clear if the thefts were related.

Other recent incidents in the 1st Precinct include:

► A Bronx man was punched in the head and choked during a fight at TriBeCa bar the Raccoon Lodge on Aug. 16 at about 8 p.m., police said. The attacker, 32-year-old Ryan Grissett, was arrested and charged with strangulation, police said. Information about his Grissett's legal representation was not immediately available. It was not clear whether the victim, 32, was taken to the hospital.

► A man stole an iPhone 5 from a T-Mobile store at 29 John St., after shoving a store employee who tried to stop the theft. Police said the thief ripped the phone from a display in the store on Aug. 21 at about 6 p.m., then pushed an employee who confronted him and fled.

► A man had his $3,800 black Honda motorcycle stolen from outside of 70 Little West St., police said. The 18-year-old told police he parked his motorcycle on the street on Aug. 15 at about 8 p.m., and when he returned on Aug. 17 at 4 p.m., it was gone.