WILLIAMSBURG — A maintenance man was hospitalized after suffering an electrical shock Thursday afternoon while replacing light bulbs in a local synagogue, officials and congregants said.
The man suffered burns on his hand about 1:35 p.m. inside Congregation Yetev Lev at 165 Clymer St., an FDNY spokeswoman said.
The victim was taken to NYU Langone Medical Center, the spokeswoman said.
Sixty firefighters responded to the scene, the spokeswoman added.
Con Edison ordered electricity to the building shut off, a representative for the utility said at the scene. He was refused access to the building.
"He just burned his hand," congregation member David Berkowitz said. "It's a nice building."