Nearly 60 officers, who currently serve at the precinct as part of Operation Impact will be reassigned to other precincts in Southern Queens, according to Deputy Inspector John Cappelmann, the commanding officer of the precinct.
The increase in the number of officers would raise the precinct's headcount of roughly 300 by about 7 percent.
Through June 1, overall serious crime was down 14 percent and there were seven shootings, the same as the year before. Murder was up to six from two during the same period last year.
Following the new guidelines, set by Police Commissioner Bill Bratton, experienced officers will now be more involved in the training of those new to the force.
Their main task, Cappelmann said at a Precinct Community Council meeting Tuesday night, will be engaging with members of the community, as opposed to making arrests and writing summonses.
The officers will be assigned to specific locations, so that local residents and business owners can get to know them and feel comfortable asking them for help.
"They are going to build that relationship with the community and I think it’s going to have a very positive effect for everyone," Cappelmann said.