The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

iPhone Snatcher Smashes Phone While Running From Police, NYPD Says

 A mugger smashed a woman's iPhone while being pursued by police, the NYPD said.
A mugger smashed a woman's iPhone while being pursued by police, the NYPD said.
View Full Caption
Getty Images/Justin Sullivan

GREENWICH VILLAGE — An iPhone thief who was being chased by police in Greenwich Village last week threw the pricey, stolen phone to the ground as he ran, smashing it just before he was caught, the NYPD said.

John Daise, 22, snatched an iPhone from the hands of a 54-year-old woman on Jan. 24 at about 2:15 p.m., police said. The iPhone was in a leather wallet phone case, so the mugger made off with her American Express card and $30 in cash as well.

Daise took off running but was spotted by police officers, who chased after him, police said. In the course of the foot pursuit, Daise threw the woman's phone to the ground, breaking it, police said.

Police caught up with him in front of 103 W. 11th St. and arrested him on grand larceny charges for the $700 iPhone, the NYPD said.

His attorney did not respond to a voicemail seeking comment.

Other notable crimes in the 6th Precinct include:

► A woman terrified passersby by waving a knife on the southeast corner of Sixth Avenue and West 14th Street on Jan. 21, police said. Police said they responded about 9:45 a.m. to find Anise Swain, 55, "in possession of a knife in a public place in public view, putting the public in fear."

Swain was arrested and charged with criminal possession of a weapon.

Information about her attorney was not immediately available.

► A drunk driver blew through two stop signs and nearly hit a couple of cars before police pulled him over in the Village earlier this week, the NYPD said. 

On Jan. 27 at about 11:42 p.m., an officer spotted a 2008 red Jeep pull away from a parking spot in front of 2 Horatio St. and head east on Horatio Street toward Greenwich Avenue, police said. Michael Quilatan, 37, drove through a stop sign, swerved and almost struck two cars, then drove through another stop sign at Horatio Street and West Fourth Street, police said.

When police pulled Quilatan over, he struggled to find his driver's license and was unsteady on his feet, police said.

Quilatan blew a .183 on a breathalyzer in the field and a .162 at the Highway Patrol headquarters at the 7th Precinct, police said. The legal limit is .08. He was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated.

His attorney did not immediately respond to a request for comment.