The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Funeral Scheduled for Kidnapped Mom Allegedly Beaten by Married Couple

By Ewa Kern-Jedrychowska | December 10, 2013 6:37am
 Sheryl Outerbridge died after being abducted and beaten in Jamaica on Dec. 3, 2013, police sources said.
Sheryl Outerbridge died after being abducted and beaten in Jamaica on Dec. 3, 2013, police sources said.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Gustavo Solis/Facebook

QUEENS — A wake for a mother of three who died last week after prosecutors say she was kidnapped from a subway station and beaten with a rod by her boyfriend and his wife will be held Wednesday in Harlem.

Sheryl Outerbridge, 38, of Harlem, will be remembered at a viewing at 11 a.m. at Unity Funeral Chapels at 2352 Eighth Ave., followed by a funeral service there at 1 p.m., the church said.

She will be buried later that day at Mount Rest Cemetery in Butler, N.J., friends said.

“It’s such a tragic story,” said Outerbridge's longtime friend, Kenya Anthony, 37, who attended the same elementary school as the victim. “She was not a confrontational person. She was always very lively, very funny.”

Outerbridge had complained of abuse at the hands of her boyfriend, Malik Wilkerson, 33, for two years before her death, friends said. She had lived periodically at Wilkerson's home in South Jamaica along with Wilkerson's wife, Devonnee Wilkerson, 32, police sources and neighbors said.

Last Monday night, Outerbridge left the couple’s apartment on 116th Road in South Jamaica and went to the Sutphin Boulevard-Archer Avenue subway station, but the married couple grabbed her at the station and kidnapped her, bringing her back to their apartment, according to Devonnee Wilkerson's criminal complaint.

Back at the apartment, prosecutors say the couple pummeled Outerbridge in the head and body with their fists and a paint roller. She was also burned with a cigarette and cut with a glass bottle, which they smashed on her forehead, the complaint says.

On Tuesday morning, the couple and another man took Outerbridge in a livery cab to Jamaica Hospital, where she was pronounced dead, police said. Her injuries were so severe police initially believed she had been shot, they said.

Malik Wilkerson, who is also named in the criminal complaint, went on the lam after dropping Outerbridge at Jamaica Hospital, and police are searching for him, they said.

Devonnee Wilkerson, who stayed at the hospital, was arrested last Wednesday. She was charged with kidnapping resulting in a death and assault with the intent of causing physical injury with a weapon and was ordered held without bail, according to court documents. Her lawyer was not immediately available for comment. She is due in court Dec. 19.