The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Man Stabbed With Scissors in Battery Park City, Police Say

By Irene Plagianos | October 23, 2013 8:39am
 A man was stabbed near 212 North End Ave. on Oct. 17, 2013.
A man was stabbed near 212 North End Ave. on Oct. 17, 2013.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Christian McLamb

BATTERY PARK CITY — A man was stabbed four times with a pair of scissors as he walked through Battery Park City at 3:45 a.m. last week, police said.

The 33-year-old Staten Island man was jabbed in his back, chest and both arms after encountering a homeless man near 212 North End Ave. last Thursday, according to police reports. The cuts were deep, but not life-threatening, police said. 

The accused stabber, Michael Pereira, 50, was arrested and charged with assault and criminal possession of a weapon.

However, a grand jury chose not to indict Pereira, according to several sources with knowledge of the matter.

Pereira's lawyer could not immediately be reached for comment.

Other notable crimes in this week's NYPD blotter in the 1st Precinct include:

► A 55-year-old woman sitting outside of the Trump SoHo hotel at 8 p.m. Saturday had her $500 Furla purse snatched off a table as she chatted on the phone. The woman told officers that as she talked on her cellphone outside the swank 246 Spring St. hotel, a man ran by and grabbed her bag, which also contained a $560 Louis Vuitton Wallet, $3,500 David Yurman earrings, a $2,000 Bloomingdale's gift card and $1,000 in cash.

► A thief riding a bicycle grabbed a cellphone out a woman’s hands as she walked past the corner of Varick and Spring streets at 8 p.m. Sunday, police said. The 48-year-old said the man snatched her Samsung smartphone and rode off quickly.

► Three young thieves shoplifted a green, $940 Doma fur jacket and a $240 gold star necklace from the boutique Valley at 393 Greenwich St., at about 5 p.m. Sunday, police said. Two men and one woman entered the shop, grabbed the items and then fled north on Greenwich street.

► A 68-year-old man sitting on a bench outside of 150 Water St. at 11:45 a.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 15 had his iPhone snatched from his hands as he read an email on the phone. The victim told officers a man grabbed the phone from his hands and ran off. The man tried to chase the thief, but couldn’t keep up.