QUEENS — There were no working smoke detectors in a pair of Queens homes that were the scene of two horrific fires this past weekend, in which one person died and 11 more were injured, according to the FDNY.
The first blaze broke out about 7 a.m. at 167-11 140th Ave., in South Jamaica after an iron sparked a fire on a bed, fire officials said.
Ten people were taken to Jamaica Hospital with minor injuries.
Then about 2 p.m. an electrical fire started in the basement of 94-67 Springfield Blvd., in Queens Village. One person was rushed to Long Island Jewish Hospital and pronounced dead.
A firefighter was also treated for minor injuries.
The fire department provided a link to information properly maintaining smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.