QUEENS — Five people were hospitalized Thursday morning when a fire broke out beneath 75th Street in Woodhaven and shot flames through manholes above, the FDNY said.
The fire erupted about 1 a.m. near 88th Avenue and quickly spread spouting flames from two manholes and smoke from two more, FDNY and ConEdison officials said.
Five people were treated for minor injuries at Jamaica Hospital, a fire spokesman said.
Two parked cars were scorched in the fire before firefighters brought it under control about an hour later, fire said.
The fire started when underground electrical equipment malfunctioned, a ConEdison spokesman said.
Two customers temporarily lost power, but had it restored about 6 a.m., he added.