BEDFORD-STUYVESANT — A bankruptcy court on Friday pushed back a closure hearing for Interfaith Hospital, giving hospital supporters additional hope that the facility can be saved.
Supporters of the struggling facility were dealt what seemed to be a crippling blow in July, when the hospital asked a bankruptcy court for permission to close by mid-November. The news came a week after the state rejected a restructuring plan for Interfaith.
But a hospital spokeswoman said the court now needs additional time to approve Interfaith's closure plan, pushing back a hearing from Aug. 15 to Aug. 26.
The move gives supporters additional time to fight the hospital's closure, said Interfaith Community Advisory Board Chair Sharronie Perry.
"I think it's moving in another direction," Perry said. "I'm very optimistic, I've been optimistic, and I'll continue to be optimistic. It was never a doubt in my mind or my spirit that that hospital was closing."
Perry said a group of supporters earlier this week met with representatives from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to discuss hospital reimbursements, something crucial to the survival of Interfaith — the hospital's troubles began in 2010 when Medicaid reimbursements were cut by the state.
Perry also said that central Brooklyn elected officials are headed to Albany next week to meet with Governor Andrew Cuomo about the hospital, and that supporters are prepared to file an injunction against the state to keep the hospital open.
"People are coming to support saving the hospital from all different areas, and I think now that everybody's on the same page [to save the hospital] the governor is going to reconsider," Perry said.