The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

84-Year-Old Woman Dies in Bronx Fire, NYPD Says

By Aidan Gardiner | April 30, 2013 9:39am | Updated on April 30, 2013 1:54pm

NEW YORK CITY — An elderly woman died when a fire tore through an Ampere Avenue home in the Bronx Tuesday morning, officials said.

Nearly 60 firefighters fought the blaze that engulfed 3205 Ampere Ave., near Ohm Avenue, about 7:40 a.m., an FDNY spokesman said.

The 84-year-old woman and her 45-year-old son were rushed to Jacobi Medical Center, FDNY and NYPD officials said.

The woman was pronounced dead on arrival and the man was listed in serious condition, fire officials said. Their names were not immediately released.

Both suffered burns and smoke inhalation, cops said.

Neighbors said the elderly woman, who had health problems and was recently widowed, lived at the home with her son, who was disabled.

Josephine Rufa, who was visiting her parent's home nearby, said she and other neighbors saw the woman at her upstairs window gasping for air as smoke billowed out.

"People were trying to get inside to help," Rufa said. "Everybody's upset. It's awful. It's just a tragedy all around."

Firefighters brought the blaze under control about 8:15 a.m. The FDNY said the fire, which was deemed accidental, started because of an electrical problem near the refrigerator.