The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

3-Year-Old Hurt in Fresh Meadows Fire Released From Hospital, Family Says

QUEENS —  A 3-year-old girl rescued from a burning Fresh Meadows apartment by firefighters Monday after her father ran inside to save her and her five siblings has been released from the hospital, her family said.

Miriam Fuzaylov was allowed to leave the hospital on Tuesday, relatives said, just a day after her father, Emmanuel Fuzaylov, risked his life trying to pull her to safety from their second-floor apartment at 169-03 65th Ave. in Fresh Meadows at 1:45 a.m. Monday morning.

Emmanuel Fuzaylov, 41, a physical therapist, remains in critical condition in the burn unit of Cornell Medical Center, along with his 14-year-old son, Avner, who is rapidly improving, relatives said.

Avner “is still here but he is doing great,” Frida Fuzailova, a family member, told DNAinfo.com New York by phone from the hospital. “They just want to make sure that he is stable and that he is OK.”

She also said that Emmanuel Fuzaylov underwent a bronchoscopy on Wednesday to help him breathe, but cautioned that he is still in critical condition.

“It could take days, but it could take weeks,” she said. “But they are saying that he is on his way to a full recovery.”

Their second-floor apartment was badly damaged in the fire, and the family is temporarily staying with relatives as they look for a new place to live, Fuzailova said.

The fire, which broke out on the second floor early Monday, sent Emmanuel and his wife down to the front of the building in search of a hose to put out the flames, neighbors said. When they couldn't find a way to extinguish the fire, Emmanuel ran back upstairs to try to help his children, neighbors added.

The fire started in the kitchen area around the stove and was ruled accidental, according to FDNY officials.

Now relatives are trying to help the Fuzaylov family rebuild their lives from scratch, they said.

The family immigrated from Russia more than 20 years ago and has lived in the house for about three years, according to family members. They lost everything, relatives said.

“We are collecting donations… food, clothing, shoes, mattresses, money... Anything will help," Fuzailova said.

Those who would like to help the family can contact Frida Fuzailova at fridafuzailova@gmail.com.