The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Baby Burned to Death by Radiator in Morningside Heights, Police Say

By  Julie  Shapiro Murray Weiss and Ben Fractenberg | February 19, 2013 5:01pm | Updated on February 19, 2013 8:51pm

MANHATTAN — A 1-year-old girl died Tuesday after being severely burned by a radiator in her grandmother's Morningside Heights apartment, police said.

The baby, identified by police sources as Gabriella Grimes, was staying with her grandmother at 424 Cathedral Parkway when she apparently rolled out of bed and got caught between the bedframe and the radiator, sources said. The child's horrified grandmother discovered her about 6:15 a.m., sources said.

Gabriella, who sources said was visiting from Albany with her 3-year-old sibling, was rushed to St. Luke's Hospital in cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead, officials said. Her sibling was unharmed.

Police said the death appears to be an accident, and Gabriella's grandmother, Lourdes Carrigan, 60, was not expected to be charged.

Diane Johnson, 55, a resident of the building who described Carrigan as "a sweetheart," said she heard the emergency responders arrive early Tuesday morning.

"I heard the sirens and I ran downstairs," Johnson said. "I saw them taking the baby out."

She said one responder was carrying the baby in his arms, and EMS workers tried to revive the child using CPR.

The Medical Examiner's Office will determine the Gabriella's official cause of death, a spokeswoman said, but police sources said it appeared that her burns were fatal.

The Administration for Children's Services is investigating, a spokesman said.