By Keri Glassman, MS, RD
When the weather outside gets frightening, curl up on the couch with a mug of this comforting, yet nourishing hot cocoa.
Ginger adds a zing that cannot be ignored — not to mention it fills your cup with antioxidants. The spice helps to reduce inflammation and treat an uneasy stomach.
The ginger and cinnamon complement each other and are both deliciously fragrant. Cinnamon may even help reduce stress.
Your mom always told you to drink your milk and can you think of a more yum way to get in all that calcium and protein?
Finally, the dark chocolate in this recipe contains flavonoids, which have been shown to help reduce the risk of chronic diseases, including cancer, stroke, and heart disease. So snuggle up this winter and stay warm and well nourished with a mug of this decadent hot cocoa.
Time: 15 minutes
Serves: Makes 4 servings
• 4 cups low fat milk
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (about 7 squares)
1. Combine milk, ginger and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium-low heat until almost boiling.
2. Add chocolate, stirring until fully melted.
3. Whisk until frothy and serve immediately.