The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Four Hurt in Gunman's Brooklyn Shooting Rampage

By  Jess Wisloski and Jesse Lent | August 18, 2012 12:56pm | Updated on August 18, 2012 4:31pm

FLATLANDS — Four people were sent to the hospital with injuries early Saturday after a gunman unleashed one or several rounds of bullets outside a Brooklyn home, police and witnesses said.

The shooter, who has not yet been arrested, opened fire on a crowd gathered in front of the Flatlands house, at 12:50 a.m. on East 54th Street near Avenue N, striking two men and two women, police said. 

One man, 35, suffered gunshot wounds to the right and left ankles, and a woman, 34, suffered gunshots wound to the stomach and left leg, police said. Another woman, 32, had been grazed on her right thigh, and a 44-year-old man had been grazed on his left knee, police said.

Marcia Meron, 51, who lives at the home, said her daughter Tanesha Lywood is the one victim who had not yet been released from Brookdale Hospital by Saturday afternoon. 

A house on East 54th Street, where a gunman opened fire on a front yard full of people, police said, on August 18, 2012.
A house on East 54th Street, where a gunman opened fire on a front yard full of people, police said, on August 18, 2012.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Jesse Lent

"My daughter was the one who got shot in her stomach. She was sitting right here. The rain was pouring," she added. She said she could not figure out why her family became the gunman's target.

"I can't talk for the rest of the people that were sitting here, but me and my daughter, we don't have friction with anyone," said Meron.

Lywood was in stable condition, police said, and Meron confirmed her daughter was conscious. "She's all right, she's talking," she said. "She wanted water, but she couldn't have water, they gave her a sponge."

Meron's relatives had been in town, she said, and everyone was outside enjoying the night in the front yard until the rain started, and they moved on to the front porch.

"My family came from Long Island, and we were all sitting out here talking," she said. "He came walking up," on the sidewalk, she said. "Everyone was stumbling and bumbling to get back inside."

"If he wanted money, he would come up here and stick everyone up for their money," she said. "He wouldn't have started shooting from over there."

Another relative, who did not want her name used, said the shooting seemed to go on for a long time.

As of Saturday, police did not have any suspects in custody but said an investigation was ongoing.