SOUTH STREET SEAPORT — The second electrical fire in less than a week broke out at the South Street Seaport Wednesday morning, fire officials said.
The small fire started in an electrical wire box near the New York Water Taxi stop between Piers 16 and 17, at 11:13 a.m. Wednesday, an FDNY spokesman said.
Firefighters brought the fire under control by 11:40 p.m., and there were no injuries, the FDNY spokesman said.
"A power plug was found smoking this morning on the far south face of Pier 17," Howard Hughes Corp., Pier 17's owner, said in a statement. "Out of an abundance of caution the Fire Department was called. The plug has been de-energized and will be replaced by a licensed electrician."
New York Water Taxi and Circle Line Downtown ferry service resumed a short time after the fire was put out, a spokeswoman for the companies said.
Wednesday's fire came just four days after the enormous three-alarm blaze just to the north at the Pier 17 mall, which was also sparked by electrical wiring, the FDNY said.
It was not immediately clear if the fires were related.