The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Village McDonald's Should Train Staff to Handle Violence, Residents Say

By Andrea Swalec | March 23, 2012 3:06pm

EAST VILLAGE — Greenwich Village residents troubled by the repeated violence outside a local McDonald's have passed a resolution asking the fast food eatery to train its staff to head off violence.

Community Board 2 unanimously passed a resolution at a Thursday night meeting asking for a stronger partnership between McDonald's staff and police in Greenwich Village this summer in the wake of the second videotaped fight at the eatery.

"CB2 requests that McDonald's restaurant work with the NYPD to explore community policing techniques to reduce the incidents of public disruption at its West Third Street location, such as a partnership with the NYPD whereby restaurant staff members would be trained to learn how best to respond to these kind of incidents," the resolution said.

The McDonald's in Greenwich Village has been the site of repeated violence.
The McDonald's in Greenwich Village has been the site of repeated violence.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Olivia Scheck

The resolution added that in light of the "three highly publicized events of public disruption, violence and unruly behavior in the last year at the McDonald's" they requested the NYPD "assign additional 'beat cops' to our local precincts this summer," the resolution said. 

Deputy Inspector Brandon del Pozo, commanding officer of the 6th Precinct, said "personnel decisions are made by taking the entire city into account. The community board has the Sixth's commitment to a safe Village regardless of what staffing levels prevail."

A 42-second video shot on March 17 at the 136 W. Third St. fast food eatery showed one person on the sidewalk dive into a flying tackle and another person kicking a man in the face.

Police said Tuesday that information about the incident was not available, including whether any arrests have been made.

Last October, McDonald's worker Rayon McIntosh was caught on cell phone video — first published by DNAinfo — using a metal rod to beat two women who had jumped over the counter. McIntosh was initially charged with assault and weapons possession, but a grand jury cleared him after finding he had acted in self-defense.

The two women have since been indicted on burglary charges.

Last March, Damian Furtch, 26, suffered facial injuries in an apparent gay-bashing incident outside the restaurant. Police arrested a 21-year-old man for the attack, but he was not charged with a hate crime. 

The resolution passed at a community meeting held on Fourth Avenue Thursday also asks McDonald's management to work with police to bring the location under control.

Police sources told DNAinfo in October that the restaurant's management chose not to hire off-duty NYPD officers as security staff because it "wasn't in their financial interest." 

The restaurant's marketing manager, Maritza Reveron, said in October that safety at the fast-food joint is the responsibility of police, not private guards.

Police and McDonald's franchise owner Carmen Paulino said McDonald's has "had many conversations with the NYPD and welcomes the opportunity to continue the collaboration. I would encourage all the businesses, eateries and bars in the area to join the ongoing discussion, as this is the responsibility of everyone in the community."

"The safety of my customers and employees is a top priority," she added.