SOHO — A fire broke out on the top-floor of a residential building on Lafayette Street early Wednesday morning, authorities said.
Firefighters responded to the blaze on the fifth floor of 184 Lafayette St., between Broome and Grand streets, about 4:33 a.m., the FDNY said.
The fire, which spread to the roof, was brought under control about 5:15 a.m., fire officials said. There were no injuries reported.
A resident on the top floor said the roof collapsed into her apartment but that she managed to escape the building unhurt with her mother.
"[My mom] came charging into my room screaming," said Jay Chen, 17. "We came downstairs — the fire was on the roof. The smoke alarm didn't go off."
A business on the building's ground floor, K&W Trading Co., was busy emptying items from the location following the fire.
It was not immediately clear what sparked the blaze.