Greg Kelly Won't Be Charged in Rape Case, DA Says

By DNAinfo Staff on February 7, 2012 7:14pm  | Updated on February 8, 2012 12:35am

TV anchor Greg Kelly will not be charged in the case of a woman who accused him of rape.
TV anchor Greg Kelly will not be charged in the case of a woman who accused him of rape.
View Full Caption
Michael Loccisano/Getty Images

By Shayna Jacobs and Tom Liddy

DNAinfo Staff

MANHATTAN — Greg Kelly, local television news anchor and the son of Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly, will not be charged with raping a woman in lower Manhattan last year, according to the District Attorney's office.

The news comes just two weeks after it was revealed that the "Good Day New York" co-host was being investigated for allegedly attacking a Wall Street paralegal after a night of drinking at the South Street Seaport — a case that shocked the city.

"After reviewing the evidence, we have determined that the facts established during our investigation do not fit the definitions of sexual assault crimes under New York criminal law," said Martha Bashford, the chief of the DA's sex crimes unit, in a letter to Kelly's lawyer, Andrew Lanker.

"Therefore, no criminal charges are appropriate."

The letter noted that the DA's office had "conducted a thorough investigation," reviewing "receipts, security logs, text messages and telephone records." They interviewing both Kelly and the victim, deeming them both "cooperative."

Kelly, who has been off the air since the allegations surfaced, said in a statement that he was pleased with the outcome of the probe.

“I am thankful that the investigation established what I've known all along, that I am innocent of the allegations that were waged against me," he said.

"I am so blessed to have a wonderful family and friends whose support for me never wavered." 

The investigation, which was was turned over to the DA's office by the NYPD to avoid a conflict of interest, represented yet another rough patch for the NYPD commissioner, who was already under fire for an anti-Muslim video being shown to police recruits during training.

The sexual assault complaint against Greg Kelly surfaced after the victim, a 29-year-old paralegal, walked into the 13th precinct stationhouse on Jan. 24 and made the accusations.

According to sources, she told investigators that she and Kelly met on the street two days before going on a date at the South Street Seaport.

They exchanged numbers and emails, and agreed to get together on Oct. 8. After drinking for a few hours that night, they decided to head to the Financial District law office where the victim worked.

There, she claimed, Kelly sexually assaulted her while she was virtually passed out.

But the pair later exchanged text messages, saying that they had a good time and discussing getting together again, according to sources.

The alleged victim came forward after she told her boyfriend about the claims and he became enraged.

He later confronted the police commissioner at a public event and said that his son had ruined his girlfriend's life.

The victim also told investigators that she became pregnant as a result of the alleged attack and had an abortion, sources said.

After the allegations surfaced, Greg Kelly vehemently maintained his innocence, but took a leave of absence from his show on Fox 5.

His father refused to answer questions about the incident.

The mayor's office declined to comment on the case Tuesday night.

Fox 5 did not immediately respond to calls and emails for comment Tuesday.

Additional reporting by Murray Weiss