UPPER EAST SIDE — Upper East Siders living along the Second Avenue subway's path are still getting woken up at night because of the construction. And they might continue to have their sleep interrupted until 2018.
Although residents breathed a sigh of relief when the MTA announced last week it would no longer blast underground for the subway's tunnel past 7 p.m., the transportation agency was mum on other types of nighttime construction for the massive $4.4 billion project.
"It was almost midnight and I was woken up three times since 10 p.m.," Stephanie Clark, whose bedroom window on East 95th Street faces Second Avenue, said of her fitful Monday night of sleep.
"The residents in our neighborhood are suffering. I understand this is for the better of our community, but these hours are out of control," said the 26-year-old, who works in advertising. "I heard it over my air conditioner and sound machine. It sounded like hitting hard metal: ding, ding, ding. And there were trucks moving back and forth."