The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Subway Service Resumes After 6 Train Derailment

By Della Hasselle | August 3, 2011 7:05am | Updated on August 3, 2011 1:24pm
MTA workers on Aug. 3 on Lexington Avenue and 120th Street responding to the train derailment on the No. 6 line.
MTA workers on Aug. 3 on Lexington Avenue and 120th Street responding to the train derailment on the No. 6 line.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Tuan Nguyen

HARLEM — After a 6 train carrying roughly 100 passengers derailed near Harlem's 125th Street station early Wednesday  — trapping people underground and snarling the morning rush — service on the 4, 5 and 6 trains was restored by 1p.m. with residual delays, according to MTA officials.

The train came off the tracks between 116th Street and 125th Street at about 4 a.m., the MTA said.

Of the 100 passengers, 16 had to be evacuated from one derailed subway car by firefighters, the FDNY said. The passengers on the derailed car were above ground by 5 a.m., according to the FDNY.

Nobody was injured.

Straphangers in other cars were stuck until a rescue train arrived to take them off the tracks, according to the MTA. A spokesman said that process took roughly 45 minutes.

They were then ferried by a service train to 116th Street.

The accident caused delays on the 4,5 and 6 lines. For the morning rush, the uptown 6 train was running express from Grand Central to 125th Street. The uptown 5 train was running along the 2 line from the Nevins Street Station in Brooklyn to the 149th Street-Grand Concourse Station in the Bronx.

At the 51st Street and Lexington station people were frustrated to find problems with the uptown 6 train and many hopped in cabs.

"It's so annoying," said Kimberly Wilson, 21, as she comtemplated her route to the Bronx. "Everyday it's different with the train. You just never know."

Another man with three bags in his hands just mumbled, ''I'm not happy," before jumping in a cab at the corner of 51st Street and Lexington Avenue.

"Someone isn't doing their job right," said Curtis Weaver, who was waiting for the 6 train uptown on 33rd Street on his way to his security guard job on Park Avenue. "They shoud improve the trains."

The cause of the accident was still under investigation, a spokesman for the MTA said.

With additional reporting by Tuan Nguyen.