UPPER EAST SIDE — Four people were hurt when a fire ripped through the top of an East 85th Street building Thursday morning, officials said.
Flames erupted minutes after 1 a.m. inside 529 E. 85th St., near East End Avenue, and scorched its cockloft, an FDNY spokeswoman said.
Residents grabbed their belongings and evacuated after firefighters knocked on their doors, they said.
"Flames were coming out of the sixth floor... they were coming out of the building," said Leandro Reyes, 36.
The fire department had a ladder up, but I wasn't really watching. I was just taking care of my baby," said Reyes, who has a 2 month-old son.
Neighbors watched as flames took over the top floor of the building.
"They were pouring out the window," said neighbor Eva Young, 57.
"Some of the windows started to burst. The whole window was engulfed. It was really sad. It was very surreal. It happened pretty quickly," Young added.
Two civilians and two firefighters were treated for minor injuries, the spokeswoman said.
The 106 firefighters who responded to the scene brought the blaze under control about 1:51 a.m., officials said.
It wasn't immediately clear what sparked the blaze.