CONCOURSE VILLAGE — Three people were wounded in a shootout in Concourse Village Thursday night, police said.
A large fight erupted outside 1114 Morris Ave., near Mott Playground, about 11:17 p.m., as Emmanuel Barnes, 27, exchanged gunfire with another man, an NYPD spokesman said.
Neighbors heard about six shots followed by screams, and then saw people scattering away from a man and woman who lay on the ground in the immediate aftermath, they said.
A 22-year-old man was hit in the left arm and leg while a 21-year-old woman was hit in the right leg, police said.
Barnes was hit in the left hip, elbow and torso, but managed to take off running, police said.
A man came out of a nearby playground shouting that his brother had been wounded, but was met by police officers who pushed him into a dumpster and took him into custody, according to a woman who lives nearby, but wouldn't give her name.
"He was hysterical and the cops just roughed him up," she said.
Two men were taken into custody, one at the shooting scene and another down by an electronics store at 241 E. 165th St., witnesses said. One of them, Barnes, carried a silver .380 millimeter semi-automatic pistol and was charged with criminal possession of a weapon, police said.
The store was shuttered Friday morning, but a pool of blood remained outside.
Barnes, who lives in the neighborhood on Sherman Avenue, and the two victims were treated at Lincoln Medical Center, police said.
Barnes has an "extensive" criminal history in Florida, a source said.
There weren't any other immediate arrests in the Thursday night shooting, police said.
A shopkeeper at a 24-hour smoke shop across from where Barnes was arrested said he doesn't feel scared in the neighborhood despite the occasional stabbing and slashing.
"Over here, it doesn't happen often," said Billy Alsaydy, 21.
But he conceded that he doesn't feel absolutely safe.
"Not safe, nobody's safe," Alsaydy said.