The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

CRIME BLOTTER: Man in Custody for Stabbing 59-Year-Old Woman, Police Say

 A 57-year-old man was arrested in Prospect-Lefferts Gardens this week for stabbing a woman in a Hawthorne Street building, police said.
A 57-year-old man was arrested in Prospect-Lefferts Gardens this week for stabbing a woman in a Hawthorne Street building, police said.
View Full Caption

PROSPECT-LEFFERTS GARDENS — Police arrested a 57-year-old man this week for stabbing a 59-year-old woman and leaving her wounded in an elevator, police said.

Basil Belgrave, 57, faces two felony assault charges for the stabbing, which took place just after 3 a.m. Sunday at a Hawthorne Street apartment building between Rogers and Nostrand avenues.

An officer responding to the assault found the 59-year-old victim wounded inside an elevator next to a large knife. She identified her attacker as Belgrave, police and court documents said, and was then transferred to a local hospital for treatment.

A short time later, a second officer found Belgrave in an apartment in the building wearing a blood-stained shirt. He told the officer that if the victim “were cut,” Belgrave “must have cut her,” according to court documents.

He was arrested for the crime and charged with two counts of assault with intent to cause serious injury and criminal possession of a weapon, court records show.

It's unclear what the relationship is between the woman and Belgrave. However, the incident is classified as a domestic violence case, records show, and an order of protection was issued against Belgrave. He is being held on $10,000 bail.

News of the assault was first reported by the Daily News.

Other notable crimes in this week’s blotter from the 71st Precinct in Crown Heights, Prospect-Lefferts Gardens and East Flatbush include:

The map above depicts only those blotter items compiled by DNAinfo New York within the date range indicated, not all crimes that took place in a given precinct. To see all previous crime blotters from this precinct, click here.

► Police are looking for a woman around 30 years old who cursed out a salon patron, punched her in the face, pulled her hair and pushed her to the ground in a dispute on Feb. 17. The altercation took place around 2:30 p.m. as the victim, a 61-year-old, was inside a nail salon at 655 Flatbush Ave., police said. The victim suffered minor injuries during the assault and the suspect fled on foot.

► A 52-year-old man reported the theft of $1,230 in equipment, including three drills and a compressor, from his parked work van on Kingston Avenue and Midwood Street on Feb. 17. The man said he parked the car there around 8 a.m. and when he came back at 3 p.m., a window on the 2006 Ford van was broken and the tools were gone.

► A 29-year-old man reported $4,600 worth of work tools were stolen out of his work van on Feb. 19, police said. He parked his 2006 Chevrolet van in the rear of 662 Brooklyn Ave. around 3:30 a.m.. When he returned around 7 a.m. he discovered a rear window had been broken and several drills and a saw had been taken.

► A 37-year-old woman was arrested for an assault and robbery of a taxi driver on Nostrand Avenue on Feb. 21. Police said the driver, a 25-year-old man, picked her up with another female suspect in front of 408 Rogers Ave., then drove them to Nostrand Avenue and President Street around 1:30 a.m. As they were leaving, the two women started arguing with the driver, then punched him and took his $300 Bose earphones and tried to take his iPad. Both women fled on foot, but officers soon caught up with the 37-year-old, who was found nearby with the man’s earphones and arrested. The second woman is still at large, police said.

► A 42-year-old man reported he was robbed by scammers who falsely claimed his wife was in jail, then demanded money to free her. The man got a phone call from the scammers around 1 p.m. at his home on Fenimore Street on Feb. 23. He told police the scammers said his wife was in custody and they needed $2,200 to get her out, which he transferred to them by wire. Two hours later, he reached his wife and determined she had not been jailed, police said.