The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Man Slashes Greenpoint Bistro Owner After Claiming Phone Was Stolen

By Serena Dai | September 4, 2014 9:39am
 Tommaso Mazzoni, owner of Milk and Roses, said a man tried to stab him after entering his cafe over the weekend.
Tommaso Mazzoni, owner of Milk and Roses, said a man tried to stab him after entering his cafe over the weekend.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Serena Dai

GREENPOINT — A man claiming his cellphone was stolen outside a popular local restaurant slashed the owner twice in the chest during an ensuing scuffle, police and the owner said.

Alfred Davis, 40, shattered the calm of the popular Greenpoint restaurant Milk and Roses, at 1110 Manhattan Ave., around 9:35 p.m. Sunday, when he walked into the eatery shouting that his phone had been stolen and demanding that the bistro call the police, police and bistro owner Tommaso Mazzoni said.

Mazzoni, 37, said he initially thought Davis had come in with another customer, who was on the phone. But when he asked the man if he knew Davis, the customer shook his head no, he said. Mazzoni then called 911 and told Davis he'd notified police, he said.

The cafe owner said he convinced Davis to step outside to discuss the issue but that the man continued to spew abuse.

Davis kept calling him names and charged at him twice, with Mazzoni pushing him away and defending himself, Mazzoni said.

That's when Davis grabbed a sharp metal object and attempted to stab Mazzoni on the left side of his chest, police and Mazzoni said.

The Greenpoint cafe owner moved aside and ended up suffering cuts on his chest, he said.

"Had I not moved, those would have gone straight through my chest," Mazzoni said. "I have two scratches on my chest at heart height."

Mazzoni called police again and watched as Davis walk to a nearby deli and then to Mexican restaurant Acapulco, he said. A man later came out of Acapulco with a bloody face, Mazzoni said.

A representative at Acapulco declined to comment.

Davis has been charged with assault, criminal possession of a weapon and harassment, according to the Brooklyn District Attorney's office. He was released without bail and ordered to stay away from the cafe. His attorney did not respond to request for comment.

His next court date is Nov. 7.