The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Coach Killed at Bar Dreamed of Sending Daughter to College, Family Says

 Police continue to hunt for a person who killed Timothy Tripp in St. Albans Saturday.
Man Killed at Queens Bar Dreamed of Sending Daughter to College
View Full Caption

QUEENS — The business man and coach shot to death in a Jamaica bar on the day before Father's Day dreamed about sending his 11-year-old daughter to college, family said, as police continued to search for his killer.

Timothy Tripp, 35 — who owned a clothing store on Baisley Boulevard and coached youth football at the Jamaica Bulldogs league — was shot twice, in the head and chest, during a dispute at Edge Bar and Lounge at 125-22 Merrick Blvd. in St. Albans, police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

“He was a very nice guy,” said his father, Thomas Tripp, 64. “He didn’t bother nobody.”

Police made an arrest minutes after the shooting, but they said that as of Tuesday morning the gunman  was still on the loose.

Sources also said the man who was arrested and charged with criminal possession of a weapon, was cooperating with authorities.

It was not immediately clear how the man was involved in the shooting and whether the recovered gun — a loaded .40 caliber semi-automatic pistol — was used during the shooting.

Thomas Tripp said he last saw his son on Friday night before he went to the bar.

Timothy Tripp, his father said, was engaged to be married. He moved to father's house in South Jamaica several weeks ago, family members said.

Tripp had a 2006 gun-possession arrest, but his father said that his son had turned his life around.

“He was an ironworker, then he founded his own clothing store,” the victim's father said. “But above all he loved his daughter, Tameia.”

He said his son, who called his daughter "Princess," was paying for her dance classes, taking her for shopping and styling her hair.

His biggest dream, he said, was to send Tameia to college one day.

One of the victim’s relatives, Terry Parker, 58, said he was going to miss Timothy's energy. "He loved to dance," Parker said, and did so frequently. “Anytime he heard music, he would dance, even by himself."

The victim's father said he didn't tell his granddaughter, who had an important dance recital last Saturday evening, that her father was dead until the performance was over.

"She kept asking about her father," he said. "She was devastated," when she found out about his death.