ASTORIA — A fire that broke out in Queens over the weekend, leaving two firefighters with minor injuries, was caused by a charcoal grill being used on a rooftop, the FDNY said Tuesday.
The 2-alarm blaze broke out around 4 p.m. Sunday on the roof of a building on 42nd Street near Ditmars Boulevard, when a small grill someone was using tipped over, igniting the roof and spreading into the space between the roof and the ceiling of the top floor.
The person grilling tried unsuccessfully to extinguish the lit coals with a pot of water and two fire extinguishers before calling 911, the FDNY said.
It is it is illegal to use either a charcoal or propane grill on the roof of a building, according to the FDNY, which is urging New Yorkers to use caution when barbecuing.
For more FDNY fire safety tips for the summer, click here.