The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Polyamorous Boyfriend Brought to NY to Face Charges in Death of Harlem Mom

By Ewa Kern-Jedrychowska | December 20, 2013 3:43pm
 Sheryl Outerbridge died after being kidnapped and beaten in Jamaica on Dec. 3
Sheryl Outerbridge
View Full Caption

QUEENS — A Queens man charged with beating a Harlem mother to death after she tried to walk out on a polyamorous love triangle she shared with him and his wife has been extradited back to Queens after fleeing to Pennsylvania, officials said.

Malik Wilkerson, 33, was extradited on Thursday afternoon to New York from Pittsburgh, Penn., where he was arrested five days after he and his wife allegedly beat Sheryl Outerbridge to death in their home Dec. 2, police said.

Wilkerson was awaiting his arraignment on charges of assault and abduction resulting in a death as of Friday afternoon, the Queens District Attorney's office said.

Malik Wilkerson has had six prior arrests dating back to 1997 for various crimes, including petit larceny, assault, criminal use of drug paraphernalia and criminal contempt, police said.

The Medical Examiner's Office ruled Friday that Outerbridge's death was a homicide, caused by blunt force trauma to the head and body.

Outerbridge, a Harlem mother of three, lived with Wilkerson and his wife, Devonnee Wilkerson, 32, for weeks at a time at their South Jamaica house, and was involved in a polyamorous relationship with the couple, police said.

But the relationship began to go sour when Outerbridge crossed the "boundaries" of their relationship, Devonnee Wilkerson said, adding that she was "furious" at Outerbridge for tattooing her pet name for Malik Wilkerson — "Bish Baby" — onto her body, according to court documents.

Devonnee Wilkerson told investigators she was also angry Outerbridge called him "Daddy," according to documents from the Queens District Attorney's office.

The jealousy came to a head Dec. 2, when Outerbridge left the home, saying she was going to the store. When the couple called her cellphone, they heard men's voices in the background, sparking their anger, Devonnee Wilkerson told investigators after her arrest.

The Wilkersons went out in their car in search of Outerbridge, and found her at the Sutphin Boulevard-Archer Avenue subway station, where they kidnapped her and brought her back to their home, police said.

The couple started grilling Outerbridge about her actions while she was out, and when she refused to answer, they began beating her in the head and body with their fists and a paint roller extension, Devonnee Wilkerson told investigators.

Devonnee Wilkerson also told police that she smashed a glass bottle on Outerbridge's forehead and burned her with a cigarette.

The couple refused to bring Outerbridge to get medical attention until the following day, finally driving her to Jamaica Hospital on Dec. 3, where Outerbridge died. Devonnee Wilkerson initially lied to police, claiming they found Outerbridge with a gunshot wound to her head in the street on Sutphin Boulevard. Outerbridge's wounds were so severe that police initially believed the couple when they claimed she had been shot, authorities said.

Outerbridge was buried in New Jersey last week.

Devonnee Wilkerson was arrested Dec. 4 and is being held without bail on charges of kidnapping resulting in a death and assault with the intent of causing physical injury with a weapon, according to court documents.

Malik Wilkerson left the hospital after dropping Outerbridge and his wife off and fled to Pennsylvania, where he was arrested Dec. 7, police said.