THE BRONX — A carelessly discarded lit cigarette sparked a fire that killed two men in The Bronx Thursday night, Fire Department officials said.
Firefighters responded to the blaze at 2700 Grand Concourse, near East 194th Street, and found the two men, ages 49 and 44, unconscious inside their sixth-floor apartment, officials said. The apartment did not have a working smoke alarm, according to the Fire Department.
The men were rushed to Montefiore Medical Center and Jamaica Hospital, where they were pronounced dead, officials said. Three firefighters were treated for minor injuries.
According to a report by News 12 Bronx, the victims were brothers who lived together. Their identities were not released by authorities.