The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

28-Year-Old Man Shot Dead in Broad Daylight in Morrisania, Cops Say

By  Patrick Wall and Bryan Graham | April 11, 2013 5:09pm | Updated on April 11, 2013 8:03pm

MORRISANIA — A 28-year-old man was killed in a midday shooting outside Morrisania's McKinley Houses on Thursday, and police took a suspect into custody at the scene, the NYPD said.

The victim, whose identity was not immediately released, was shot in the head at 731 E. 161st St. about 2 p.m., police said.

He was rushed to Lincoln Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, authorities said.

The Rev. Wallace Diamond, 53, was outside the nearby 730 E. 163rd St. when shots rang out. He said he saw multiple shooters fire from different spots around the central quad area, which is ringed by towers and filled with a garden, a playground and green spaces.

Diamond, who has been a resident of McKinley Houses for 50 years and serves president of the tenants' association, estimated he heard as many as two dozen shots. He saw one man fire at another at close range.

"I was scared to death," said Diamond, who added that he leapt out of his motorized wheelchair and ran into the nearest building.

After the incident, dozens of officers and detectives were gathered inside the central quad area near the spot where the victim was fatally shot.

"I heard the shots. Next thing I know, the whole place was just flooded with police," said Alisa Pratt, 44, the director of an after-school program based in a building inside the development.

A half-dozen or so officers in heavy-duty gear — helmets, bullet-proof vests and shields — and at least one with a police dog entered the building at 730 E. 163rd.

Several minutes later, about 4:15 p.m., a group of police exited with a man in handcuffs, who they loaded into an unmarked car.

A resident who witnessed the incident said the man in handcuffs had fatally shot the victim.

The resident said the suspect is a 29-year-old man works and attends college and lives with his parents.

Police also escorted an older man and woman who were not handcuffed from the building. Sources said they were the suspect's parents.

NYPD officials confirmed Thursday evening that a man was in custody in connection with the shooting but said he had not yet been charged.

Sources said the victim's brother was fatally shot nearby several weeks ago.

"Enough is enough," Diamond said. "There's kids in the park. There's old ladies out here."