UPPER EAST SIDE — A fire tore through a five-story apartment building early Monday morning, damaging parts of several floors, the FDNY said.
The blaze began shortly before 6 a.m. in the basement of 427 E. 80th St., near York Avenue, then spread to the first and second floors, an FDNY spokesman said.
Second-floor tenant David Schlesinger was awoken by the smoke that clogged the building's hallways.
"The clouds of smoke were pretty thick," said Schlesinger, 37. "As I was coming out, the firefighters were rushing past me coming in."
Brian Liamero, who lives on the fourth floor, said the pungent smoke in the hallways made him cough.
"I opened the door, and there was a firefighter breaking down the door to our neighbor's apartment," said Liamero, 28.
It doesn't appear anyone was injured in the blaze, officials said.
More 100 firefighters responded to the blaze and brought it under control roughly an hour later, officials said.
It was not immediately clear what sparked the blaze.