The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Mom Struck and Killed by Bus in Queens

By  Jess Wisloski and Paul Lomax | October 14, 2012 3:53pm 

JAMAICA HILLS — A 54-year-old mother was killed when a Nassau County bus ran into her while she was out shopping in Jamaica Hills, police and news reports said.

Maleka Chowdhury was with her daughter, crossing Merrick Boulevard at 7:02 p.m., when a Nassau Inter-County Express bus ran over her while making a left turn from westbound Hillside Avenue to southbound on the boulevard, police and NY1 reported.

Rescuers arriving on the scene determined Chowdhury died after she was hit, police said.

Mohamed Nurul Hasan, who owns the Al Hamra Boutique Store three blocks from the accident scene on Hillside Avenue, said Chowdury and her daughter had just purchased a long dress and a brown and gold Hijab — a veil which covers the hair and neck worn by many Muslim women — and were on their way home from his shop.

"I went there as I saw people running down Hillside," he said. "When I got there the daughter was waling and screaming, 'I've lost my mother. I've lost my mother,' over and over again... it was upsetting. They were very nice people."

Another shopkeeper, Mohamed Islam Hasan, 32, who owns Fatema Grocery and Halal Meat, on Hillside Avenue, said he ran to the accident.

"I got really upset and started crying with [the daughter] too. I know the daughter a little, she's very nice, the whole family are very nice, quiet and respectful people," he said. "I feel so bad for them — it's tragic."

Plans for a funeral service at the Jamaica Muslim Center at 8537 168th Street were underway for sometime Sunday evening, friends said.

A neighborhood resident, Binda, who did not want her name used, said the intersection can be perilous for pedestrians.

"This is a very dangerous corner," she said. "They should do something like change the walk signal or put in more lights, as drivers come around that corner too fast."

The 52-year-old bus driver stayed on the scene, and no criminality was suspected, police said.