The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Husband Attacked Wife With Meat Cleaver in Flushing, Cops Say

By  Tuan Nguyen and Wil Cruz | May 23, 2012 9:23am | Updated on May 24, 2012 4:55pm

A Flushing woman was clinging to life after her husband allegedly attacked her on May 23, 2012.
A Flushing woman was clinging to life after her husband allegedly attacked her on May 23, 2012.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Tuan Nguyen

QUEENS — A 52-year-old Flushing woman was clinging to life Wednesday after her husband stabbed her in the head with a meat cleaver, police said.

Huizhen Liu was attacked by her husband, Kang Wang, in the couple's first-floor apartment at 42-11 Parsons Boulevard, near Ash Avenue, at 5:45 a.m., sources said.

Liu staggered out of the apartment, leaving a trail of blood that stretched some 50 yards to a nearby construction site. The bloody rampage ended only after their son, Nianwen Wang, 22, got between them — and a good Samaritan intervened with an ice scraper.

Juan Dapena, 44, a loss prevention officer at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square, was on his work when he noticed the father and son fighting.

"I noticed the older guy was trying to pick up this two-by-four and throw it on a body on the floor," he said, referring to the injured Liu.

That's when the former U.S. Marine called 911, hopped out of his Pontiac Viper and grabbed an ice scraper from his trunk.

"That's all I had," he said.

He confronted Kang Wang, who was still armed with the meat cleaver.

"He was staring me down with a crazy look," Dapena said. "I told him, 'Drop it right now!'"

Dapena said he struck him six or seven times until Wang finally dropped it.

Cops arrived minutes later and arrested Wang, 53, charging him with first-degree assault, attempted criminally negligent homicide and criminal possession of a weapon, police said.

Paramedics rushed Liu to New York Hospital-Queens, where she was in critical condition, police said.

Nianwen Wang did not appear to be injured, police said.

Residents who know the family said the couple moved in about a week ago.

"They seemed very energetic and happy with the apartment," said the manager of the building where they live, who only identified herself as Monica.

But a neighbor who lived a floor above the couple said he heard them fighting Wednesday morning.

"They were screaming," said Jin Feng, 40, who had just gotten home from working a night shift at a food company. "She later called for help."

Feng said he didn't leave his apartment because he didn't want to get involved. It was unclear if he called 911.

Detectives from the 109th Precinct were combing the scene Wednesday morning. The building manager, Monica, said cops asked her for surveillance footage.

"We got no camera," Monica said, adding that a surveillance camera is scheduled to be installed May 31.

A doctor who works nearby said neighborhood is generally free of crime.

"It's horrible that it happened," said the man, who only gave his name as J Yan.

Dapena said Thursday he doesn't know where he found the courage to take a man armed with a meat cleaver.

"I still don't believe it," he said. "I went on automatic pilot. I just reacted."

He said the younger Wang gave him a quiet "thank you" after the attack.

"You could tell he was shocked and in pain," Dapena said. "I told him, 'Just be strong.'"

Dapena added that he doesn't feel like a hero, despite praise from his friends and co-workers.

"Everybody's been thanking me," he said. "I would hope that anybody would do that. If you see somebody in trouble, just react."