CHICAGO — The West Loop's Monteverde has been named one of the Restaurants of the Year by Food & Wine magazine.
Monteverde, 1020 W. Madison St., makes its own pasta, with chef Sarah Grueneberg cooking up traditional Italian fare influenced by her trips around the world.
"You can see a cook stuff tortelli verde with spring greens and ricotta; a few minutes later it arrives at the table bathed in green-garlic butter," according to Food & Wine's review of the restaurant.
Ten restaurants from cities across the United States were named to Food & Wine's Restaurant of the Year list, including New York's High Street on Hudson and Locol in Los Angeles.
Grueneberg, a "Top Chef" runner-up and former Spiaggia executive chef, opened Monteverde in November 2015.
You can make reservations for Monteverde online, though the restaurant also keeps spots open for walk-ins on a first-come, first-served basis. The restaurant is open 5-11 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and 4-9 p.m. Sundays.
Several other Chicago restaurants were honored in different rankings released by Opinionated About Dining on Wednesday. Among 100 U.S. restaurants, Alinea was ranked the fourth-best. Here are those rankings:
• Alinea, 1723 N. Halsted St.: No. 4
• Grace, 652 W. Randolph St.: No. 28
• Schwa, 1466 N. Ashland Ave.: No. 31
• Next, 953 W. Fulton Market: No. 34
• 42 Grams, 4662 N. Broadway St.: No. 39
• Sixteen, 401 N. Wabash Ave.: No. 66
• Goosefoot, 2656 W. Lawrence Ave.: No. 77
• El Ideas, 2419 W. 14th St.: No. 82
• Elizabeth, 4835 N. Western Ave.: No. 99
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: