CHICAGO — There's more to Memorial Day than backyard barbecues.
Chicago will play host to a series of parades and tribute ceremonies throughout the weekend to remember military members who died in service. Here are some of your choices:
• The Beverly Hills/Morgan Park and Mount Greenwood Memorial Day Parade and Ceremony starts after the 37th annual Ridge Run. The parade steps off at 10:30 a.m. Monday from 110th Street and Longwood Drive and travels north to Ridge Park.
• Chicago's Memorial Day Parade starts with a wreath-laying ceremony at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Eternal Flame in Daley Plaza. The parade starts at noon at State and Lake streets.
• The General John A. Logan Monument Ceremony and Dedication wreath-laying will start at 11 a.m. Monday in Grant Park, 337 E. Randolph St.
• Bike the Drive will start at 5 a.m. at Columbus and Jackson drives. There will be light snacks and water provided at three rest stops along the route. Registration is required and costs $51, $15 for participants 17 and younger.
• Pritzker Military Museum and Library will offer a variety of free events Saturday. From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., admission is free. At 10:30 a.m., genealogist Jennifer Holik will talk about her work and offer advice. "Tears of the Sun," a movie about a Navy SEAL mission, will be shown at 1 p.m. Veterans are encouraged to share their stories with the museum's Holt Oral History Program.
• Celtic Aire, an ensemble spin-off of the U.S. Air Force Band, will perform at the Irish American Heritage Center, 4626 N. Knox Ave., at 7:30 p.m. Friday. The concert is free.
• The National Veterans Art Museum, 4041 N. Milwaukee Ave., will open a new exhibition, "Surrealism and War," at 10 a.m. Monday. There will be an 11 a.m. color guard show and a 2 p.m. talk from an artist. The exhibition runs until Nov. 1.
• Norwood Park's Memorial Day Parade will start at 11 a.m. at Onahan School, 6634 W. Raven St. There will be a tribute ceremony at 12:15 p.m. at Taft High School, 6530 W. Bryn Mawr Ave.
• Lane Tech High School's annual Memorial Day weekend carnival continues in the Western Avenue parking lot of the school, 2501 W. Addison St. Hours are noon-10 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, and noon-8 p.m. Monday. An unlimited ride special is $25 from noon-5 p.m. Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
• Navy Pier will host a free summer fireworks show starting at 10:15 p.m. Saturday.
• The West Loop Craft Beer Fest's general admission will run 1 to 5 p.m., with a VIP event at noon, at Clinton Street between Lake and Washington streets. General admission tickets are $50 and VIP admission tickets are $75. General admission tickets at the door will be $65.
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: