ROGERS PARK — Work has begun at the future site of a Burger King on North Clark Street that caused a controversy earlier this year.
An excavator and fences showed up at 7513 N. Clark St. last week. A building permit was issued on Nov. 13 for the construction of the one-story, drive-through restaurant that's expected to cost $858,000 to build, according to records.
"Burger King will be good for the neighborhood and a good corporate citizen," Moore said in a statement.
Moore said in the statement Velarde had committed to hire workers who live in the neighborhood, call the cops on persistent loiterers and pick up trash around the property.
Construction would be completed within three months, Moore said.
Velarde was not immediately available for comment about whether adverse winter weather would delay construction plans.
Since news of the plans broke, some residents organized to try to persuade the alderman to oppose the plan.
Hueffner told DNAinfo Chicago in March that he and other community members who gathered at a January public meeting about the plans felt a "lack of response" after they raised concerns ranging from increased traffic and pedestrian safety to animal rights and children's health.