CHICAGO — Shootings on the city's South and West sides left one dead and 11 others wounded since Friday afternoon, police said.
The most recent shooting occurred early Saturday on the Near West Side, police said.
About 5 a.m., three men were sitting on the sidewalk in the 1000 block of West Maxwell Street when a dark sedan pulled up to the group. Two gunmen exited the car and opened fire, said Officer John Mirabelli, a police spokesman.
A 25-year-old man, later identified as Jermia Millsap of the 1000 block of West Maxwell Street, was fatally hit in his abdomen, authorities said. Millsap was pronounced dead at 7:31 a.m. at Stroger Hospital, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office.
Two others were injured. A 21-year-old man was taken to Stroger with a gunshot wound to his left arm, while a 40-year-old man was treated at Mount Sinai Hospital for a gunshot wound to his right arm.
• Hours earlier, a 31-year-old man was injured in a shooting in South Austin. The man was walking in the 300 block of North Pine Avenue about 12:35 a.m. when he heard shots and felt pain, Mirabelli said. The man was shot in his right thigh and left ankle and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital where his condition stabilized.
• About midnight, a 26-year-old man was shot in Auburn Gresham. The man was standing with a large group of people and began arguing with another group of men in the 1300 block of West 79th Street when one member of the group pulled out a gun and began firing.
The man was shot in his right shoulder and taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn where his condition stabilized, Mirabelli said.
• In Chicago Lawn, another man was wounded by gunfire about 11:30 p.m. The 25-year-old man was standing in the 6400 block of South Oakley Avenue when he was shot in his buttocks, Mirabelli said. The man was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn where his condition also stabilized.
• About the same time, a 38-year-old man walked into the University of Chicago Medical Center with a gunshot wound in his left knee. Police said the shooting occurred in the 700 block of East 60th Street. The man's condition had stabilized by early Saturday morning.
• Hours earlier, a man was wounded in a driveby shooting on the Near West Side. Police said shots were fired from a van about 6 p.m. in the 600 block of South Francisco Avenue. A 22-year-old man was hit in his chest. Police did not immediately have details on the man's condition but said he had documented gang ties.
• About 4:30 p.m. Friday in the 5400 block of South Bishop Street, two people were shot in the Back of the Yards neighborhood. A 42-year-old man was shot in his right leg, and another man was shot in his buttocks. Police did not have details surrounding the shooting but said both men had gang affiliations.
• In North Lawndale, a 29-year-old man was shot twice in his torso about 12:30 p.m. Friday in the 1400 block of South Keeler Avenue, Mirabelli said. The man, who has gang ties, was listed in critical condition at Mount Sinai Hospital.