The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Domestic Battery Charge Against Tio Hardiman Dropped

 Former CeaseFire Illinois Director Tio Hardiman (file photo).
Former CeaseFire Illinois Director Tio Hardiman (file photo).
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Quinn Ford

CHICAGO — A domestic battery charge against CeaseFire director Tio Hardiman was dropped Tuesday, according to the Cook County State's Attorney's Office.

“I want to work on my marriage, and I love my husband,” Alison Hardiman said when she appeared in Maywood court, the Sun-Times reported. After the hearing, a spokeswoman with the State's Attorney's Office said prosecutors dropped the charge.

"It was good news," Tio Hardiman said by phone Wednesday. He said he didn't know the charge would be dropped before he showed up for the hearing.

In June, Alison Hardiman's attorney said she'd been "beaten like an animal." Prosecutors previously said Tio Hardiman punched and kicked his wife, and the incident was witnessed by a family member. Alison Hardiman had contacted police in suburban Hillside, who arrested her husband in May.

Shortly after he was charged, CeaseFire Illinois announced they had no plans to renew Tio Hardiman's contract. Later in June, Alison Hardiman reportedly filed for divorce.

Tio Hardiman maintained his innocence and said CeaseFire's decision to get rid of him before he'd been tried was "straight-up wrong."

He also said his wife no longer plans to divorce him.

"We have a lot of work to do now," Tio Hardiman said. "I have to take care of her, and I have to bounce back in terms of my career."

That includes a possible run for local office one day, Tio Hardiman said. He also said he plans to reach out to local groups and "raise awareness of domestic violence."

Alison Hardiman could not be reached for comment.