The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

$50K Bail for Man Charged With Murder of Man Impaled by Fence

By  Erin Meyer and Emily Morris | June 27, 2013 12:58pm | Updated on June 27, 2013 2:45pm

 Willie Hubbard, 33, of the 1000 block of East 111th Street, was charged with murder.
Willie Hubbard, 33, of the 1000 block of East 111th Street, was charged with murder.
View Full Caption
Chicago Police Department

CHICAGO — It wasn't the punch that killed Edward Scott, but rather a wrought iron fence post that impaled the 48-year-old man in the eye as he fell forward.

That's according to Cook County prosecutors who have charged the man who allegedly hit him — Willie Hubbard — with first-degree murder.

Hubbard, 33, appeared in court Thursday after turning himself in to police.

During the brief bond hearing Cook County Assistant State's Attorney John Dillon said Scott had been drinking when he crashed a backyard BBQ on Father's Day in the 9100 block of South Greenwood Avenue.

Dillon said Scott was "using profanity and trying to pick up the small children" when he was escorted out of the party.

A relative of Scott's led him home. There, Hubbard allegedly confronted the drunk man, punching him three times.

"The victim fell forward with his face striking the wrought iron fence," Dillon said. "As the victim's face struck the fence, one of the rods of the fence became impaled in the victim's eye."

When Scott fell to the ground, part of the fence went with him. The Cook County Medical Examiner's Office determined that Scott died of cerebral injuries.

Hubbard's public defender said Thursday that her client was provoked and described Scott's death as a "freak accident."

"(The victim) was scaring the young children," said Marijane Placek, arguing that the case shouldn't be first-degree murder. "(Scott) was doing something more than ruining a good party."

Cook County Judge Donald Panarese Jr. set Hubbard's bail at $50,000, an amount significantly lower than those charged with murder normally receive.

After his death, Scott's mother, Catherine Harris, said her son was a “beautiful child” and took care of her. Harris said her son was prone to seizures, but that she didn't understand how his death happened.