The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

'Juan Contreras Show' Star Contacted Victim's Family, Prosecutors Allege

By Erin Meyer | May 29, 2013 1:29pm | Updated on May 29, 2013 2:07pm
 The host of a popular Spanish-language Chicago television show allegedly molested an 11-year-old girl.
Spanish-language TV show host charged with molestation
View Full Caption

COOK COUNTY CRIMINAL COURTHOUSE — The star of a popular Spanish-language show was back in court Wednesday, accused of contacting the family of the child he's accused of molesting, prosecutors said.

Elpidio Contreras, the 53-year-old star of "El Show de Juan Contreras" on WJYS-Channel 62, appeared in court earlier this month on charges that he sexually assaulted a child.

On Wednesday, prosecutors said Contreras recently contacted the grandfather of the 11-year-old girl he is a accused of molesting when he was supposed to be giving her singing lessons.

Prosecutors asked a judge to revoke Contreras' bail, but the judge refused.

While the judge was reminding Contreras that conditions of his bond prohibit him from contacting the girl, Contreras said through a translator: "I won't do it again."

Contreras had been free since posting 10 percent of his $500,000 bail, and the judge Wednesday rejected prosecutors' request to revoke his bail.

Earlier this month, prosecutors said Contreras touched the girl's genitals multiple times and took pictures of her in a bikini.

At the earlier hearing, Contreras, of the 2300 block of North Kostner Avenue, told the judge that he couldn't afford a lawyer because he gave all his money away to people in need.