The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Three Killed, Eight Wounded in Weekend Violence

By  Erica Demarest and Alex Parker  | May 11, 2013 8:48am | Updated on May 13, 2013 8:57am

  Ronald Baskin, 21, was shot and killed in Englewood Sunday.
Englewood homicide
View Full Caption

CHICAGO — Three people were killed on Mother's Day, and at least eight were wounded in shootings across the city between Friday afternoon and Sunday night, police said.

About 3:30 a.m. Sunday, police in South Shore discovered a body on the sidewalk in the 2800 block of East 76th Street, said Officer Jose Estrada, a Chicago Police Department spokesman. The man had multiple gunshot wounds to his head and body.

He was pronounced dead on the scene at 3:55 a.m. and identified as 20-year-old Blake Ross, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office. His home address was unavailable Monday night.

Catherine Gleen, 82, of the 7800 block of South Euclid Avenue, was stabbed to death in her South Shore home Sunday morning. Her body was discovered about 7:40 a.m., Estrada said, and family members believe a "mentally ill" relative committed the crime.

 A 19-year-old man was shot in Auburn Gresham Sunday.
Auburn Gresham shooting
View Full Caption

Ronald Baskin, 21, of the 1600 block of Aberdeen Street in Chicago Heights, was fatally shot in the 6500 block of South Green Street in Englewood about 4 p.m. Sunday, authorities said. The morgue pronounced Baskin dead on the scene at 7:26 p.m.

Shortly after 8 p.m. Friday, a 17-year-old boy was shot in the knee in Humboldt Park, said Officer John Mirabelli, a Police Department spokesman. The teen, who police said has gang affiliations, had been walking along the 1500 block of North Spaulding Avenue, when a green car pulled up next to him and a male passenger opened fire. The teen was treated at Mount Sinai Hospital.

In West Englewood, a 24-year-old man was shot in the right thigh just after midnight Saturday, Mirabelli said.

The man had been involved in an argument near 61st Street and Ashland Avenue. He entered a car, and as he was leaving the scene, a man wearing a red hooded sweatshirt began shooting. The victim was struck in the thigh and driven to the Englewood District police station. Though police called an ambulance to the scene, Mirabelli said, the man refused medical attention.

About 12:48 p.m. Saturday, a 31-year-old man was shot in the 2000 block of West 68th Place in West Englewood, Estrada said. The man had been sitting in his car when a male stranger in a beige vehicle pulled up beside him and began shooting, Estrada said. As the victim tried to flee, he was shot in the back, left leg and upper right thigh. He was then taken in serious condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.

About 4:45 p.m. Saturday, a 21-year-old woman was shot in the 1600 block of North Spaulding Avenue, Estrada said. The woman had been walking through an alley with a male companion when a gunman approached and opened fire. The woman was struck in the lower left leg and treated at Stroger Hospital. Police believe the male companion, who has documented gang ties, was the intended target.

A 43-year-old man sustained multiple gunshot wounds to the back about 7 p.m. Saturday, Estrada said. The man was walking in the 8200 block of South Maryland Avenue in Chatham when a gunman approached. The victim was listed in critical condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center. Police said they believe the shooting may have been gang-related because the victim has documented gang ties.

In Greater Grand Crossing, a 19-year-old man was shot in the lower back about 10 p.m. Saturday, Estrada said. The man had been standing on the sidewalk in the 7600 block of South St. Lawrence Avenue when a man approached on foot and fired several shots. The victim, who police said has gang affiliations, was taken in stable condition to Stroger Hospital.

Two teenagers were shot about 6:15 p.m. Sunday near 79th and Paulina streets in Auburn Gresham, said Officer Joshua Purkiss, a Police Department spokesman. A 18-year-old man, Keith Spencer, sustained a fatal gunshot wound to the head, while the other male teen was shot in the arm. Both were treated at Advocate Christ Medical Center.