LOGAN SQUARE — Seven people were hospitalized after being exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide in a Logan Square building Tuesday night, officials said.
Fire department personnel responded to a building in the 2600 block of North Springfield Avenue about 8:15 p.m., fire officials said.
Carbon monoxide levels reached 300 parts per million, officials said. Average carbon monoxide readings in homes with gas stoves are 5 to 15 parts per million, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.
Seven people were taken to St. Mary Medical Center and Norwegian American Hospital in good condition, fire officials said.
As of 8:30 p.m., the building's heating system was shut down and the building was secured, officials said. People's Gas was also on the scene, officials said.
Neighbors saw ambulances take some residents away from the scene.
"They looked real out of it," one witness said.