City Investigating Death of 4-Year-Old Who May Have Eaten Rat Poison
MORRISANIA — City investigators are probing the death of Juan Sanchez, the 4-year-old boy who died Monday after possibly ingesting rat poison.
The Department of Investigation is looking into whether any agency involved with this case, such as the Administration for Children's Services and the Department of Homeless Services, properly followed protocols and procedures, offiicals said.
Additionally, Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services Lilliam Barrios-Paoli has directed DHS to conduct a full review of its practices related to making sure that children in shelters are safe.
"I will also expedite a cross-agency city effort, started in April, to review conditions at a random sample of DHS’ shelter facilities including private buildings where homeless families are placed," Barrios-Paoli said in an email. "Lastly, I've requested a review of all DHS cases currently involving ACS."
Juan started foaming at the mouth on Sunday around 1:30 p.m., causing his mother, Migdalia Morales, to call 911. The boy was unconscious by the time paramedics came to the apartment on Tinton Avenue and East 163rd Street, and he was taken to Lincoln Hospital.
He was later taken to Columbia-Presbyterian, where he died on Monday morning.
The cause of Juan's death is under investiation, the Medical Examiner's office said.