Seventh-Grade Girls Hospitalized After Drinking Booze in Class, DOE Says
NEW BRIGHTON — Eight middle school students were hospitalized after they were caught drinking booze out of a water bottle and an AriZona ice tea bottle inside a classroom, a parent and the Department of Education said.
The seventh-grade girls were passing around the alcohol-filled bottles inside at William A. Morris Intermediate School, 445 Castleton Ave., on Wednesday afternoon, the DOE said. The water bottle smelled of alcohol, but the DOE did not say what kind.
"We're going to really discuss this," said Makishan Brown, of West Brighton, mother of one of the girls. "I have zero tolerance about this."
Brown said the girls were getting drunk in class, and she got a call from the dean about the incident.
"They never call me," she said. "I said 'its something.'"
The students were taken to Richmond University Medical Center by a teacher and a guidance counselor, where parents could pick them up, the DOE said. There were no reports of injuries.
The DOE said the school's investigating the incident and disciplinary action is pending. In the meantime, at least Brown's daughter might have more to worry about at home.
"I'm really upset with my child," she said.