Hollis Fire Sparked by Space Heater, FDNY Says

By Aidan Gardiner on January 8, 2014 8:41am 

 Flames tore through 104-19 198th St., the second of two major fires in Hollis Tuesday night.
Flames tore through 104-19 198th St., the second of two major fires in Hollis Tuesday night.
View Full Caption
Twitter/@FDNY

QUEENS — Fire ripped through a pair of Hollis homes just blocks apart Tuesday night — including one that was sparked by a space heater as temperatures dipped into the single digits, officials said.

First, flames erupted on the second floor of 109-05 191st St. about 10:30 p.m., sparked by a space heater.

The blaze raged until the approximately 105 firefighters who responded finally brought it under control about 11:40 p.m., an FDNY spokesman said.

Then, a fire engulfed 104-19 198th St. about an hour later, the spokesman said. The cause of that fire was still under investigation.

Temperatures hovered around 9 degrees Tuesday night with a wind chill making it feel like negative 8 degrees, according to The Weather Channel.

Both blazes were serious, but an FDNY spokesman said that in cold weather, more firefighters are sometimes called to a scene as a precautionary measure.

One firefighter suffered minor injuries in the 198th Street fire, but no other injuries were reported, an FDNY spokesman said.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement