Man Badly Burned in Sunset Park Fire

By Ben Fractenberg on February 14, 2013 1:59pm 

 A man was badly burned in a after his mattress caught fire while he was somking a cigarette at 4917 6th Ave. Thursday morning.
A man was badly burned in a after his mattress caught fire while he was somking a cigarette at 4917 6th Ave. Thursday morning.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Ben Fractenberg

SUNSET PARK — A man was seriously burned when his mattress caught fire while he was smoking in a Sunset Park home Thursday morning, sources said.

The incident happened in the basement of 4917 6th Ave. between 49th and 50th streets a little after 9 a.m., fire officials said.

The man, in his 30s, was taken to Lutheran Hospital in critical condition.

Sources said he may have been drinking when the fire started and not immediately realized the mattress was on fire, sources said.

There was no serious damage to the building.

Police did not suspect criminality, sources said.

 

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement