NEW YORK CITY — Nearly two months after the last minute cancellation of the 2012 New York City Marathon, entrants were told Thursday they can choose between entry in future marathons or a full refund of race fees.
"We are sorry that it has taken longer to resolve these issues than originally expected," a spokesman for organizers New York Road Runners posted in a statement on the group's website.
"We have been working to offer the best possible solutions in order to meet the needs of the many different groups associated with the marathon."
Marathoners are eligible for full refunds or entry into the Marathon in 2013, 2014 or 2015.
Those who participated in NYRR's 9 + 1 program, which lets runners gain marathon entry by taking part in nine NYRR races throughout the year and then volunteer at one, will also be eligible in 2013 even if the event they were scheduled to volunteer at was the cancelled marathon.
A spokesman for the NYRR told DNAinfo in an email that even if volunteers pulled out of the marathon before it was cancelled in protest of it being run so shortly after Sandy will be eligible in 2013 as well.
If participants don't want to attempt the 26.2 mile course, they are also eligible for entry in the 2013 New York City Half marathon.
The race had been scheduled to go ahead on November 4, just under a week after Sandy hit on October 29.
Just 36 hours before the race, Bloomberg bowed to pressure to cancel it following outrage from the many New York residents displaced by the storm.
On the organization's Facebook page, most runners seemed pleased with the resolution.
"Thanks NYRR for your hard work," wrote one participant who identified himself as Phil Wahba.
"Tough situation, exceptional circumstances."