Mini Pumpkin Pie Bites Offer Nutrient-Packed Holiday Treats
By DNAinfo Staff on December 12, 2012 8:59am
By Keri Glassman, MS, RD
Pumpkins are the centerpiece of holiday delicacies and rightfully so, with health benefits galore!
Their gorgeous orange hue comes from beta-carotene, a cancer-fighting antioxidant that also promotes healthy vision and builds immunity.
These pumpkin bites are a mix between cupcakes and muffins, and are packed with nutrition. Flaxseeds give the “bites” a nice, nutty flavor, and they are a dynamite source of lignans, plant estrogens which may soothe monthly mood swings that may lead to emotional overeating. A topping of smooth, versatile of Greek yogurt is a great swap for calorie-laden whipped cream. Not only will it accent the sweetness of the maple syrup, but it adds a protein-packed probiotic boost to each bite!
Time: 40 minutes
- 6 tablespoons wheat germ
- 4 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 4 all natural ginger snap cookies, crushed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (15 ounces) can plain pumpkin puree
- 2 ounces fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cups pure maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a nonstick 24-cup mini muffin pan with canola oil cooking spray.
2. Mix wheat germ, flaxseed, and ginger snaps in a bowl. Add a heaping teaspoon of the mixture to each muffin cup. Set aside.
3. Whisk eggs in another bowl. Add pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
4. Pour mixture evenly into prepared muffin cups.
5. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until sides are sturdy and filling is set. Let cool 10 to 15 minutes before using a knife to loosen and remove from pan.
6. Combine yogurt and maple syrup in bowl. Cover and chill.
7. Top each with a dollop of yogurt mixture. Enjoy!
Makes 24 mini muffins .
*Recipe adapted from Prevention.com
Keri Glassman, MS, RD, CDN, is the founder and president of Keri Glassman, Nutritious Life, a nutrition practice based in New York City, and Nutritious Life Meals, a gourmet, healthy, daily diet delivery program available across the U.S. She is a member of Women's Health Magazine's advisory board and has two columns, Flat Belly Day and Lighten Up, in every issue. She has authored three books: Slim Calm Sexy Diet, The O2 Diet, and The Snack Factor Diet and her expertise is regularly featured on national television shows such as the Today show, Good Morning America, and Access Hollywood Live, among many others. She hosts the series "A Little Bit Better" on Youtube's Livestrong Woman channel and is a prolific writer and commentator with contributions to numerous publications and websites nationwide. Read more of Keri's tips every day: Like her on Facebook and follow her on Twitter.