Bronx Middle School Building Evacuated After Gas Leak
UNIONPORT — Hundreds of students were evacuated from a Bronx middle school Monday morning after a gas leak in the building, officials said.
Firefighters responded to 885 Bolton Ave., near Story Avenue, about 7:30 a.m., an FDNYspokesman said.
Nearly 1,000 students who attend the two schools housed there were temporarily relocated because of the leak, a Department of Education spokeswoman said.
Sixth graders of I.S. 131 will be moved to P.S. 100 at 800 Taylor Ave., while upperclassmen will go to 1980 Lafayette Ave., officials said.
All the students of J.H.S. 448 will go to J.H.S. 367 at 456 White Plains Rd., she added.
No one appeared to be injured in the incident, fire officials said.
Emergency crews were still on scene approximately two hours after the initial 911 call.