Phony Electrician Using Hurricane Sandy to Rob Queens Residents
FOREST HILLS— Beware the unexpected electrician.
Precinct Capt. Thomas Conforti, the area has been hit with 4-5 robberies within the past month in which the suspects claimed to need access to the inside of their victims homes; some crooks going so far as saying they needed to conduct repairs after the hurricane.
"When someone comes to your door; we're trying to get the word out; do not let these people in," Conforti told the public at the Community Board 6 monthly meeting on Wednesday night.
The most recent incident occurred tuesday afternoon at 63-38 Saunders St. in Rego Park, where two suspects approached the home of a 90-year-old man just after 1:30 p.m. claiming need to inspect his electrical box due to the hurricane. The suspects began to steal the man's belongings when he let them in and knocked the man unconscious when he confronted them.
Conforti, who called the crime "very troubling," said that the precinct is searching for the suspects, who cops later described as two 30-year-old males.
Confroti warned residents that Con Ed is the only company that would need access to the inside of a home, and urged residents to always exercise caution.
"The best advice I can give you is never let anyone into your home," said Conforti. "And if you have a bad feeling about it, pick up the phone and call 911."