Devilishly Delicious Egg Salad Packs a Protein Punch
By Kiratiana Freelon on November 13, 2012 5:09pm
By Keri Glassman, MS, RD
Eggs wear the tagline “incredible and edible” for a reason. These nutritious, bite-sized protein powerhouses are very versatile. You don’t have to scramble them in the morning to get the best taste out of them. In fact, this recipe can please any party crowd as a nutritional alternative to the diet demon known as deviled eggs!
Don’t let their yolk scare you…this yellow liquid is packed with nutrients, including choline, important for optimal brain function. This recipe replaces traditional calorie and fat laden mayonnaise with protein packed, diet-friendly Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is noteworthy since it is extra creamy and it has twice the protein of traditional (American!) yogurt. Garlic doesn’t only function in warding off vampires, it will also ward off the evil free radicals lurking around your body that cause disease. The inclusion of celery in this recipe provides gut friendly fiber and the paprika gives these deviled eggs a spicy flavor kick! Remain calm when hunger strikes by noshing on this Nutritious Life approved devilish snack.
- 2 tablespoons low-fat (2%) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown or Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 omega-3-enriched hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped radish (about 1 medium)
- 1 teaspoon thinly sliced scallion (green part only)
- 3 small Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
1. Combine yogurt, mustard, paprika, and garlic powder in a medium bowl. Add eggs, celery, radish, and scallion and gently mix to coat.
2. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Place lettuce leaves on a plate. Spoon egg salad into the leaf centers and garnish with paprika.
4. Serve with 1 Red Delicious apple.
Keri Glassman, MS, RD, CDN, is the founder and president of Keri Glassman, Nutritious Life, a nutrition practice based in New York City, and Nutritious Life Meals, a gourmet, healthy, daily diet delivery program available across the U.S. She is a member of Women's Health Magazine's advisory board and has two columns, Flat Belly Day and Lighten Up, in every issue. She has authored three books: Slim Calm Sexy Diet, The O2 Diet, and The Snack Factor Diet and her expertise is regularly featured on national television shows such as the Today show, Good Morning America, and Access Hollywood Live, among many others. She hosts the series "A Little Bit Better" on Youtube's Livestrong Woman channel and is a prolific writer and commentator with contributions to numerous publications and websites nationwide. Read more of Keri's tips every day: Like her on Facebook and follow her on Twitter.